Sunday, April 4, 2010

Jesus Christ Superstar

Wow, so being the musical lover I am, I checked Jesus Christ Superstar out from the library. And it was completely different than what I thought it was going to be. In a good way.

It's looking at the story from the other side of the tracks. Instead of looking at Judas' betrayl from the Jesus side of things, its showing that Jesus really kinda did fuck up a little, and Judas was doing the things he did out of love. Its like what the people at church aren't telling you.

And the music, oh, dear lord. It's amazing, of course, because it's Andrew Lloyd Webber. It's just awesome. The singers are phenomenal. The dancers are wonderful. It's just a really well-done show.

I cringe because I know that the majority of the people I know personally are going to skip reading this review because it has the word 'Jesus' in it, and that makes me sad. It's not about Jesus, really. It's mostly about Judas, I'd say, and his relationship with Jesus, and how everything went down the tubes, and it WAS Jesus' fault, really, something that Christians are hesitant to admit. He let things get out of control. He could have prevented his own death.

So, really, it's not a religious musical. It has Bible figures in it, yes, and it is a Bible story, but it's not religious. It doesn't preach, and in fact, a lot of Christians have complained about it.

Oh, and it's a rock opera. Yes, yes, yes. So no stereotypical musical crap. This is really good, awesome music that could be on the radio if the lyrics were more generic.

No comments: